Affiliate Disclosure: AmmoCave.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Lucky Gunner, Optics Planet, Brownells, Cabelas, Academy Sports & Outdoors, Rainier Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Sportsman’s Guide, Ammo.com, Ammo Man, Primary Arms, MidWayUsa, Amazon, eBay, etс. Clicking a link helps keep AmmoCave.com free, at no extra cost to you!
Authors: Each article is verified by AmmoCave's expert team. Professional hunters, firearm trainers, gunsmiths, and gun experts write the articles. AmmoCave Team independently researches, tests, reviews, and uses recommendations from our community of gun owners. We may earn commissions from shopping links.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect any agency's official policy or position. The articles are for informational purposes only, share your opinions about Best 500 S&W Mag Ammo in the comments and join the discussions. Let's share 💬 our ammo & gun experiences together!
What is 500 S&W Mag Ammo? 🤔
It is a powerful and extremely accurate magnum cartridge used in some pistols and revolvers. It was designed to replace the .44 Magnum, but with more power and less muzzle flash. It has become popular among shooters due to its accuracy, reliability, and ease of reloading.
💥 The 500 S&W Mag ammo is an extremely powerful caliber of ammunition and offers unmatched performance for hunting larger games. It is capable of delivering excellent accuracy and terminal performance while maintaining its affordability. Here are some features:
- ☑️ Velocity: it has a fast muzzle velocity of 1,800 to 2,000 feet per second. This provides superior accuracy and penetration power for large-game hunting.
- ☑️ Stopping Power: this ammo is ideal for taking down large game animals with ease due to its high stopping power.
- ☑️ Recoil Management: despite being a very powerful round, it also has excellent recoil management thanks to its well-designed case shape and powder loaders.
✨ The 500 Smith and Wesson Magnum (S&W Mag) is a powerful handgun cartridge that offers excellent performance for hunting, target shooting, and self-defense. Some of the key benefits:
- ✳️ Long-Range Performance: it can reach distant targets with accuracy due to its high muzzle velocity and flat trajectory. This makes it an excellent choice for long-distance shooting competitions or hunting medium-sized game animals.
- ✳️ Knockdown Power: this ammo has great stopping power due to its large diameter and heavy bullet weight, which can help incapacitate attackers quickly in self-defense scenarios.
- ✳️ Versatility: they come in a range of different bullet designs, weights, velocities, and other features that make them a versatile choice for any purpose.
- ✳️ Cost Efficiency: When compared to some other handgun cartridges, 500 S&W Mag ammo tends to be more affordable per round than many common competitors.
Ballistic performance 🎯
❇️ The ballistic performance of 500 S&W Mag ammo is one of the most important factors to consider when selecting it for your firearm. It is important to understand how the ammo will perform in terms of energy and velocity, accuracy, point-of-impact consistency, and recoil control.
- 🔷 Energy and Velocity: Ammo offers some impressive energy and velocity figures. With its larger diameter bullet, it can reach velocities higher than many standard pistol cartridges while still giving a good balance between power and controllability at close range.
- 🔷 Accuracy: This ammo has excellent accuracy potential when fired from a quality handgun that is properly maintained and sighted in.
- 🔷 Point-of-Impact Consistency: It also has good point-of-impact consistency when used with quality firearms and ammunition. The large diameter of the bullets helps keep each shot relatively consistent in terms of its point of impact.
- 🔷 Recoil Control: Last but not least, such ammo can offer good recoil control for shooters who want a softer shooting experience. Although the ammo delivers plenty of power, the larger diameter bullet helps dampen that power and makes it easier to handle.
Our Selection 15 Best 🎯 500 S&W Magnum Ammo – Editor’s Choice
1# 500 S&W Magnum – 300 Grain JHP – Armscor
When it comes to hog hunting or stalking bears, you need a round that you can count on. That’s why Armscor created these American-made .500 S&W Magnum rounds. These rounds are constructed with only the best components, including reloadable brass casings, non-corrosive Boxer primers, time-tested propellant, and Hornady eXtreme Terminal Performance (XTP) projectiles. The XTP bullet is one of the most effective modern jacketed hollow-point designs available and features a precisely shaped cavity with deep skiving and a toothed cannelure. So when you’re out in the field, you can rest assured knowing that you have the best possible round for the job.
2# 500 S&W – 275 Grain Barnes Expander – Federal Vital-Shok
If you’re lucky enough to own a 500 S&W Magnum revolver, then you know that having the right ammo is essential. You need a round that can handle anything you throw at it, and if you’re hunting larger or more dangerous games, then this Federal Vital-Shok round is perfect. It’s loaded with a 275-grain Barnes Expander Solid Copper Hollow Point bullet, which will have a muzzle velocity of around 1660 feet per second. That means it’ll pack a serious punch, but it’s also designed to minimize recoil, so you can stay on target. Order yours today and be prepared for anything.
3# 500 S&W Magnum – 300 Grain FTX JHP – Hornady LEVERevolution
The 500 S&W Magnum by Hornady is perfect for hunting or self-defense. The FTX bullet is designed for rapid expansion in soft tissue, and the polymer-filled cavity is designed to prevent bullet failure due to clogging the JHP projectile. Upon impact, the polymer tip pushes into the center of the hollow point, forcing massive expansion. Don’t wait any longer – order 500 S&W Magnum by Hornady just now!
4# 500 S&W – 500 Grain Flat Point XTP – Hornady Custom
When you need the power to take down a big game, reach for the Smith & Wesson 500 S&W. This massive revolver cartridge was designed in collaboration with Corbon and is one of the most powerful handgun rounds on the market. When it was introduced in 2003, the 500 S&W helped Smith & Wesson regain its status as the maker of the most powerful handgun rounds. With this round, you can rest assured that your family will be safe from harm. When you need a round that you can count on to get the job done, reach for the 500 S&W.
5# 500 S&W Magnum – 400 gr SJSP – Magtech
Looking for a high-powered round that is perfect for your S&W model 500 revolver? Look no further than Magtech’s 500 S&W Magnum ammo! This newly manufactured ammo is excellent for self-defense, target practice, and range training. Each reloadable round boasts a reloadable brass casing, a semi-jacketed soft-point bullet, a boxer primer, and a non-corrosive propellant. The bullets are designed for maximum energy transfer upon impact while at the same time ensuring controlled expansion. So don’t hesitate to pick up a box or two of this 500 S&W Magnum ammo – it’s sure to help you hit your target every time!
Do you want a product that is extremely accurate and will guarantee to knock down your target? Check out Hornady Custom pistol ammo. XTP (Extreme Terminal Performance) bullet is designed for maximum penetration and expansion, while FMJ and FTX bullets offer outstanding accuracy and consistency. Every round of Hornady Custom ammunition is hand inspected before packaging to ensure the highest levels of quality control. So you can be confident that you’re getting the best possible product every time you buy Hornady. Give yourself the advantage of hand-loaded accuracy in a factory load – buy Hornady Custom ammunition today!
Federal Premium Vital-Shok Centerfire Handgun Ammunition is a great choice if you’re searching for potent and long-lasting handgun ammunition. This ammo has been tried and tested for many years, and its performance is proven time and time again. It’s perfect for taking down big games, as the Swift A-Frame design ensures penetration and expansion. With 325 grains of pure power, this ammo is sure to get the job done right. So don’t settle for anything less than the best – trust Federal Premium for all your ammunition needs.
The Hornady LEVERevolution Centerfire Handgun Ammunition is the newest and most exciting option for lever gun ammo on the market. Hornady is one of the leaders in ballistic technology and offers innovative performance in its bullets, which feature safe designs that are dramatically better than before. The higher ballistic coefficient of the LEVERevolution ammo brings flatter trajectories and increasing energy downrange, while the bullets offer unbeatable expansion at any range. Don’t settle for anything less than the best – choose Hornady LEVERevolution Centerfire Handgun Ammunition for your next shooting adventure.
If you are interested in reliable, high-quality handgun ammunition that can help you improve your shooting, Federal Premium Vital-Shok Centerfire Handgun Ammunition is an excellent solution. This ammo has been tried and tested for many years, and its efficiency and quality have been proven time and again. Whether you’re target shooting or hunting, Federal Premium Trophy ammunition will give you the performance you need to get the job done right.
How to reload? 🧑🔧
🛠️ Reloading 500 S&W Mag ammo is straightforward. Many people prefer to reload their ammo because it saves them money over buying factory-loaded ammunition.
- ➡️ Select a type of primer suitable for the cartridge case. As with all primers, be sure that the primer size matches the caliber of the cartridge case.
- ➡️ Once you have chosen and purchased the proper primer, load it into each casing using your reloading press or hand tool.
- ➡️ Next, measure out your desired powder charge for each round and drop it into the casing using an appropriate powder measure.
- ➡️ Once the primer and powder have been properly loaded, select a bullet of the appropriate size for your 500 S&W Mag cartridge case.
- ➡️ After selecting the proper bullet, drop it down the barrel of your gun before seating it in the casing with a die on your reloading press.
- ➡️ Once all rounds have been loaded with bullets, crimp them into place if necessary using an appropriate tool on your reloading press.
- ➡️ Inspect all rounds before storing them away. Examining each round carefully can help to ensure that each round is properly loaded and will fire safely when fired.
😀 By following these simple steps, you can easily reload your ammo with confidence.
The 500 S&W Mag ammo is a great choice for high-powered handguns and it can provide reliable performance in both hunting and target shooting scenarios. We hope that this guide helped help you find the best ammunition for your needs. Thanks for taking the time to read this guide! Happy shooting! 🎯😎
I love my S&W 500 and have been told that the Remington 44 magnum round may be compatible with my firearm. They are wondering if any other alternative rounds can be used.
📌 I want to inform you that only the 500 S&W Magnum, the 500 Special, and the 500 JRH cartridges are safe to use with a 500 S&W Magnum firearm.
🚨 Firing any other round can cause serious damage to the gun and injury to the shooter.
I strongly advise against taking any advice about firearms from anyone who suggests using a 44-round with a 500 S&W Magnum pistol. Because it may be dangerous for you.
I recently bought a 500 Magnum revolver with an 8.3″ barrel and it’s truly an incredible firearm. However, I prefer not to shoot lead and was wondering what the best rounds would be for my gun. I’ve looked into Hornady ammo and a few others, but I haven’t been able to find the Winchester ammo that’s highly recommended. I’m considering using 275-300 gr ammo, but I want to make sure it’s reliable. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
In my experience, any ammo for the 500 Magnum is typically quite reliable. When I had my own model 500, I exclusively used Hornady ammo. If it’s just for range time, any type of ammo should suffice.
I don’t recommend using the 500 Magnum for home defense as it can be quite dangerous. If you miss your target, the bullet can easily penetrate through multiple houses down the road.
In my experience, there’s nothing wrong with using properly alloyed, sized, and lubed hard-cast lead bullets. I’ve been using them for around 20-30 years and they’ve worked well for me. I’d say about 99% of my magnum revolver shooting has been done with hard-cast lead bullets.
Hello, I’m new to reloading. I have only reloaded about 500 rounds so far, but I recently encountered a problem. I mainly reload the 500 S&W Magnum using 350 and 700-grain bullets with H110 powder. I initially loaded 10 rounds each of 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43-grain loads using large rifle primers, and they all shot great with no issues. I then reloaded another 150 rounds with 43 grains of H110, and they also fired without issue. However, when I ordered some 700-grain hard-cast bullets and loaded them with H110 powder ranging from 26 to 29 grains, they were not as enjoyable to shoot since it felt like I was getting hit in the hand with a sledgehammer every time I pulled the trigger.
Based on your description, the only thing that caught my attention was the use of standard large rifle primers instead of magnum primers with H110 powder. I’ve heard that magnum primers are highly recommended with this powder. It also seems like you might have some powder degradation going on.
In my experience, I have found that it is highly recommended to use magnum primers when using H-110/296 powder, as they can be difficult to ignite. This is especially true when using large charges, such as the ones you mentioned for your 500 S&W Mag rounds. If you have been using large rifle primers, I would suggest trying the Fed 215 magnum primers. Additionally, as for the issue with your rounds failing to fire, the powder may have degraded over time.