Top 19 Red Dot Sights For Tactical Shotgun A lot of people underrate the role of the sights they use. Sometimes, even a low-cost gun can become dramatically better with…
What is Red Dot?
Red dot sight is a non-magnifying optical device that allows the user to look through a glass lens and see an illuminated red dot or reticle superimposed on the field of view. The dot is created by a light-emitting diode (LED) or laser diode. Red dots are used on a variety of firearms, including pistols, rifles, and shotguns.
TOP Red Dots
Did you know? The red dot sight was invented in the 1970s by American military engineer John C. Foster. It was originally designed for use on aircraft gunsights. The first commercial red dot sight was introduced in 1982 by Bushnell.
How does a red dot sight work?
The red dot sight uses an LED or laser diode to create a small red dot of light. This dot is projected onto a glass lens. The user looks through the lens and sees the red dot superimposed on the field of view.
The dot is used as an aiming point. When the firearm is properly aligned with the target, the bullet will strike the target at the point where the red dot is located.
Types of Red Dots
There are many types of red dots on the market. The most popular ones are:
- Tube Red Dot: This is the original type of red dot. It has a tube that projects the red dot onto the lens. These are usually the most affordable type of red dot.
- Holographic Red Dot: This type of red dot uses a holographic reticle that is projected onto the lens. These are more expensive than tube red dots, but they offer a wider field of view and are more durable.
- Reflex Red Dot: This type of red dot is similar to a holographic red dot, but it uses a reflex lens instead of a holographic reticle. Reflex red dots are more expensive than holographic red dots, but they offer a wider field of view.
- Mini Red Dot: This type of red dot is similar to a tube red dot, but it is much smaller. Mini red dots are more expensive than tube red dots, but they are more durable and offer a wider field of view.
How to Choose a Red Dot?
When choosing a red dot, there are several things you need to consider:
- Purpose: What do you plan to use the red dot for? If you plan on using it for target shooting, then you will need a different type of red dot than if you plan on using it for hunting or self-defense.
- Budget: How much money are you willing to spend on a red dot? Red dots range in price from around $100 to over $500.
- Magnification: Do you want a red dot that has magnification? If so, then you will need to choose a reflex or holographic red dot. If you don’t need magnification, then you can choose a tube or mini red dot.
- Battery life: How long do you want the battery to last? Some red dots have very short battery lives, while others can last for thousands of hours.
- Durability: How durable do you need the red dot to be? If you plan on using it in rough conditions, then you will need a more durable red dot.
- Weight: How much weight are you willing to add to your gun? If you are looking for a lightweight red dot, then you will need to choose a mini red dot.
- Field of view: How wide do you want the field of view to be? The wider the field of view, the easier it will be to find your target.
- Reticle: What type of reticle do you want? There are many different types of reticles available, so you will need to choose one that suits your needs.
- Mount: What type of mount do you need? For most applications, a Picatinny rail mount is the best option. However, if you plan on using the red dot on a pistol, then you will need a different type of mount.
- Warranty: What type of warranty does the manufacturer offer? A good warranty is essential in case something goes wrong with the red dot.
- Reviews: Have other people liked the red dot? You can read reviews online to see what other people think about a particular red dot, and don’t forget to explore AmmoCave’s best reviews 👌.
What are the benefits of using a red dot sight?
There are several benefits to using a red dot sight:
- First, it can improve accuracy by making it easier to align the firearm with the target.
- Second, it can increase shooting speed because the shooter does not have to take time to align the sights.
- Third, it can be easier to use in low light conditions because the dot is illuminated.
AmmoCave offers a variety of red dot sights for sale. We carry brands like Bushnell, Nikon, and Vortex. Browse our reviews and find the perfect sight for your needs.
Red Dot Buyer’s Guides
Top 22 Red Dots For AR Shooting precisely is crucial in all situations. Sometimes, standards setups are not thought to provide the best performance. Therefore, shooters mount additional devices. Red…
Top 26 Red Dot Magnifiers Have you ever been in a situation when you regret you don’t have good magnification? Or maybe the scope you have is too powerful for…
Don’t hurry to blame your red dot for defects: blurred images can also be caused by the shooter's astigmatism. Astigmatism is the curvature of the eye (either the cornea or…
When looking for the best red dot sight, there are a few things to consider. The type of firearm you are using, the intended use, and the environment you will…
Are you in the market for a pistol red dot? If so, you're in luck! We've compiled a list of the best pistol red dots on the market. Whether you're…
A mini red dot sight is a great addition to any shooter’s arsenal. Not only do they provide quick and accurate target acquisition, but they also make it easy to…
Red dots are some of the most popular optic sights on the market today. They are simple to use, and they provide a clear sight picture that makes it easy…