Affiliate Disclosure: AmmoCave.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Lucky Gunner, Optics Planet, Brownells, Cabelas, Academy Sports & Outdoors, Rainier Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Sportsman’s Guide, Ammo.com, Ammo Man, Primary Arms, MidWayUsa, Amazon, eBay, etс. Clicking a link helps keep AmmoCave.com free, at no extra cost to you!
Authors: Each article is verified by AmmoCave's expert team. Professional hunters, firearm trainers, gunsmiths, and gun experts write the articles. AmmoCave Team independently researches, tests, reviews, and uses recommendations from our community of gun owners. We may earn commissions from shopping links.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect any agency's official policy or position. The articles are for informational purposes only, share your opinions about Best 5.56 Muzzle Brakes 2023 in the comments and join the discussions. Let's share 💬 our ammo & gun experiences together!
What are 5.56 Muzzle Brakes? 🤨
They are devices that attach to the end of a rifle barrel. They are designed to reduce recoil and muzzle rise when firing a rifle. The 5.56 caliber is one of the most commonly used sizes in rifles, and its popularity has led to the production of specialized muzzle brakes made specifically for 5.56 rifles.
A quality 5.56 muzzle brake will help reduce recoil and provide improved accuracy for your firearm. Here are some of the features:
- ✅ Porting: muzzle brakes feature porting to further reduce felt recoil by redirecting gases away from the shooter to reduce rearward pressure on the shooter’s shoulder. This helps to improve accuracy by reducing muzzle movement when firing.
- ✅ Materials: it is constructed from high-quality materials such as steel or aluminum for maximum durability and reliability.
- ✅ Finish: the muzzle brake with a corrosion-resistant finish such as black nitride, black oxide, or stainless steel to protect your firearm’s barrel and ensure the long life of the muzzle brake assembly.
The main purpose of this device is to control felt recoil and muzzle rise to improve accuracy and reduce fatigue while shooting.
- ✳️ Reduced Recoil & Muzzle Rise – muzzle brakes reduce both recoil and muzzle rise by diffusing the energy created when firing, resulting in less movement of the barrel during shooting sessions which can improve accuracy over time due to lessened barrel drift.
- ✳️ Reduced Flash – by attaching a 5.56 muzzle brake, much of this flash can be trapped within its ports instead, thereby eliminating most if not all of it in many cases
- ✳️ Ease Of Installation – installing muzzle brakes onto gun barrels typically requires very few tools if any at all; some models are designed with fasteners that allow them to be easily attached without any sort of specialized equipment.
- ✳️ Improved Accuracy – while they are primarily used to reduce felt recoil and mitigate flash, muzzle brakes can also help shooters become more accurate in their shots due to several factors:
- 🔥 Firstly, because felt recoil is reduced when firing multiple rounds consecutively so there is less barrel drift between each shot meaning only small corrections will need to be made for shooters to follow up accurately on their targets after each successive shot was taken;
- 🔥 Furthermore, having no noticeable flash emitted when firing increases visibility in darker environments where aiming could prove difficult otherwise thus allowing shooters to aim more precisely even at night or in dimly lit areas where normally it would not always be possible due to low levels of light obscuring vision drastically.
How to choose? 🔍
To select the right muzzle brake for your weapon system, several factors need to be considered:
- 🔷 First and foremost is recoil reduction. Different brands of muzzle brakes offer different levels of performance in this regard; some are more effective than others.
- 🔷 Next, consider the noise level. Some muzzle brakes are designed to reduce noise as well as recoil, while others are meant only for recoil reduction and may be louder than other models.
- 🔷 Lastly, consider the size of the muzzle brake. As with any gun upgrade, you want something that is going to work well without being too bulky or heavy.
- 😉 With these three factors in mind, you’ll be better equipped to choose the 5.56 muzzle brake for your rifle.
Our Selection 15 Best 🚀 5.56 Muzzle Brakes
1# VG6 Precision Gamma 556 High-Performance Muzzle Brake
If you need a muzzle brake that can drastically reduce the recoil of your firearm, then check out the VG6 Precision Gamma 556 High-Performance Muzzle Brake. This muzzle brake/compensator hybrid is designed to virtually eliminate recoil and reduce muzzle movement, thanks to engineering techniques like Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Computer Aided Engineering (CAE). The gas ports on the VG6 Precision Gamma 556 have been vigorously tested to provide the ultimate in muzzle control, and the unique chamber geometries provide a very soft feel in the shoulder during shots.
2# Lantac Dragon Muzzle Brake
This Lantac Dragon Precision Muzzle Brake is built with high-quality materials that offer improved recoil control and muzzle rise. With more accurate full-auto fire capabilities and ultra-fast attenuation of muzzle blast gasses for a reduced flash signature, this muzzle brake is perfect for anyone searching for a little extra edge when on the range. The unique short energy pulse system of the Lantac Dragon Recoil Control Muzzle Brake shortens the recoil length so the energy from each repeating shot will not overlap, keeping the shooter on target.
3# Strike Industries Triple Crown 223/5.56 Compensator
Want to buy a compensator that does it all? Notice the Strike Industries Triple Crown 223/5.56 Compensator. This heavy-duty steel muzzle device features a three-chamber design to reduce felt recoil and help keep your AR-15 on target. Top gas ports mitigate muzzle rise, while the aggressive sharp crowned front end can be used for self-defense or wire-cutting capability. The SI Triple Crown-Comp is finished in black Parkerizing and will make a great addition to your firearms accessories.
4# Precision Armament Hypertap Muzzle Brake
Precision Armament is proud to introduce the Hypertap Muzzle Brake 5.56×45 NATO. The Hypertap with advanced Convergent-Divergent port geometry yields an unprecedented recoil reduction of over 84%. Additionally, the Hypertap boasts a modest 35-degree baffle angle and generous bore clearance, making it one of the safest muzzle brakes on the market. The fully tunable gas biasing allows the shooter to further reduce, or even eliminate, sight picture movement while firing.
5# Fortis Manufacturing 5.56 Barrel Muzzle Brake
What good is a gun without the proper muzzle brake? You need something that will keep your speed and accuracy up, while also putting more down range. The Fortis Manufacturing 5.56 Barrel Muzzle Brake does just that. It is made of steel and nitride-coated. Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to have one of the best muzzle brakes on the market!
6# Precision Armament AFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake
The Precision Armament AFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake is a top-quality muzzle brake that is best for those passionate about precision shooting. This device helps to reduce side concussions and muzzle flashes, making it perfect for rapid-fire scenarios. The closed-bottom design also significantly reduces dust kick-up when shooting from a prone position, which is a huge advantage in the field. This muzzle brake is precision machined from heat-treated stainless steel and coated to withstand blazing hot temperatures, making it one of the most reliable devices on the market.
7# Guntec USA AR-15 Micro Slip Over Barrel Shroud Muzzle Brake
The Guntec USAAR-15 Micro Slip Over Barrel Shroud Muzzle Brake is a dual-purpose unit that functions as both a barrel shroud and a muzzle compensator. It slips over the barrel and threads down from the inside and features multi-porting Gatling gun-style muzzle compensation that reduces felt recoil by up to 70 percent. It’s easy to install, requiring no shims or crush washers to time it to the barrel, and looks great with hand guards that are almost the length of your barrel.
8# Strike Industries Cookie Cutter Compensator
The Strike Industries Cookie Cutter Compensator 5.56 is the best choice for those looking to reduce recoil on short-barrel rifles and AR pistols. This muzzle brake creates a large reflecting area to eliminate recoil force, making it an extremely functional compensator. The Parkerized finished steel construction is both durable and looks great, while the unique design also works great as a glass breaker. Don’t miss out on this must-have compensator!
9# Maxim Defense Industries AR-15 Hate Brake Muzzle Booster
Introducing the Hate Brake muzzle booster to regulate firearm exhaust gases and enable PDWs to cycle more reliably. The primary design features of the brake include the redirection of the sound signature, decreasing the flash signature, significantly reducing recoil, and increasing accuracy. If you need a reliable muzzle booster that will improve the performance of your PDW, please note the Maxim Defense Hate Brake.
10# Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5.56 Q.D. Muzzle Brake
The Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5.56 Q.D. Muzzle Brake is the best addition to your Phantom 5.56 sound suppressor. The quick disconnect mount makes it easy to install and remove, while the five port design helps to reduce recoil and dust signature when shooting in the prone position. This muzzle brake is compatible with AR-15 rifles and is sure to help improve your shooting experience.
11# Lantac Dragon Gemtech Quick Mount Muzzle Brake
With the Lantac Dragon Gemtech Quick Mount Muzzle Brake, you’ll enjoy a full auto fire without sacrificing accuracy. Built from hardened Milspec steel for exceptional strength and precision, this muzzle brake features a unique short-energy pulse system that greatly reduces recoil length. Additionally, it includes venting ports to help reduce muzzle rise and take more precise shots. Whether you’re at the range or in the field, this muzzle brake will help you stay on target.
12# Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake
Notice the Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake – it is designed to help you keep your cool during rapid fire. It enhances control and accuracy, and the aggressive diamond-shaped teeth provide superior bite. If you find yourself in a tight spot, this brake can also be used as an improvised breaching device. No matter what the situation, the Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake has you covered.
13# Fortis Manufacturing 5.56 R.E.D. Barrel Muzzle Brake
Presenting the Fortis Manufacturing 5.56 R.E.D. Barrel Muzzle Brake! This military-grade accessory is designed to provide superior performance in any situation. Featuring steel construction and a nitride coating, this muzzle brake is built to last. Plus, the included crush washer ensures easy installation. So if you’re searching for a top-of-the-line muzzle brake that looks as good as it performs, look at the Fortis Manufacturing 5.56 R.E.D. Barrel Muzzle Brake!
14# TacFire 5.56 Flash Can Muzzle Brake
The TacFire 5.56 Flash Can Muzzle Brake is excellent for anyone who needs better muzzle rise and flash control. Made from durable steel, this muzzle brake is phosphate finished for a long-lasting finish. The hand-polished finish ensures superior accuracy and control of your groupings. The one-piece stainless steel mounting sleeve is included with each brake, along with a cotter pin to prevent peeling and wear. The mounting sleeve also has a glove box for easy installation.
15# Yankee Hill 26-MB-A Slant Muzzle Brake
The Yankee Hill 26-MB-A Slant Muzzle Brake is awesome for reducing recoil and muzzle rise on your AR-15. Made from quality heat-treated steel and plated with Melonite QPQ, this muzzle brake is built to last. The black finish gives it a sleek, tactical look that will make your rifle stand out at the range. The 1/2″-28 threading makes it easy to install, and the included crush washer ensures a secure fit.
Installing a muzzle brake is an easy process and takes only a few minutes.
🚨 The first step is to ensure that your rifle is unloaded and clear of any live ammunition.
- ➡️ Then, unscrew the existing flash hider or compensator from the barrel using a strap wrench or vise-grip pliers.
- ➡️ Once the muzzle device has been removed, you can now install the new muzzle brake.
- ➡️ Start by aligning the bore of the muzzle brake with the bore of your gun’s barrel, then tighten it in place.
- ➡️ Make sure that it’s tightly secured so it won’t move around when shooting.
- ➡️ If needed, use thread locking compound on the threads for added security.
🤠 Finally, check that everything is tight before firing your rifle again!
5.56 muzzle brakes are an important accessory, they help reduce recoil and keep your rifle on target, making them a valuable addition to your shooting gear. In this article, we’ve highlighted the best muzzle brakes available on the market today. We’ve also included some tips on how to choose the right brake for your needs and provided reviews of some of our favorite models. We hope this information was helpful to you!🥰
What are some of the best AR-15 556 muzzle brakes/comps? I’m planning to replace the A2 flash hider with a brake/comp. Are there any alternatives that I should consider?
May I know the purpose of using the rifle? If it’s not for competition, it’s recommended to stick with a flash hider or even consider a suppressor.
In case you don’t have friends or don’t feel like making any at the range, you may want to consider the VG6 Precision Gamma muzzle brake. On the other hand, if you’re open to making friends or already have some at the range, you can give the Troy Medieval muzzle brake a try. It offers decent compensation without being too obnoxious.
Do have anyone with some experience with a budget-friendly 556 muzzle brake that you’d recommend?
Regarding your query on a cost-effective 556 muzzle brake, I would recommend the VG6 Gamma muzzle brake. If you’re contemplating getting a suppressor in the future and prefer a quick-detach (QD) suppressor mount, you may want to consider purchasing either the Surefire or Yankee Hill Machine Phantom muzzle brake.
💵 A budget-friendly muzzle brake in this top list is Strike Industries Triple Crown Comp.
🎯 This steel muzzle device has a three-chamber design to reduce felt recoil and help keep your AR on target.
As someone who has extensive experience and knowledge in shooting, including military and personal shooting, I’m planning to build a rifle with an 8.5″ or 10.5″ barrel in 5.56. However, I recently consulted with a friend who holds several military and civilian armory/gunsmithing certifications about which muzzle brake I should purchase for my first AR-15 build. So, my question is, should I follow my friend’s recommendation, or is a muzzle brake necessary? What are your thoughts on this matter?
It seems like your AR will mostly be used on a bench with a bipod. In that case, a flash hider would be a good choice. I prefer a muzzle device that reduces flash on an already stable AR15. Regarding your friend’s advice, I don’t want to contradict him, but a good muzzle brake can make a significant difference.
I suggest going for a flash can or linear comp, or consider suppressing it. However, with a barrel as short as yours, it might be best to manage the recoil in other ways, such as using a heavier buffer and adjusting the gas flow.