Affiliate Disclosure: AmmoCave.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Lucky Gunner, Optics Planet, Brownells, Cabelas, Academy Sports & Outdoors, Rainier Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Sportsman’s Guide, Ammo.com, Ammo Man, Primary Arms, MidWayUsa, Amazon, eBay, etс. Clicking a link helps keep AmmoCave.com free, at no extra cost to you!
Authors: Each article is verified by AmmoCave's expert team. Professional hunters, firearm trainers, gunsmiths, and gun experts write the articles. AmmoCave Team independently researches, tests, reviews, and uses recommendations from our community of gun owners. We may earn commissions from shopping links.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect any agency's official policy or position. The articles are for informational purposes only, share your opinions about Best Handgun Scope 2023 in the comments and join the discussions. Let's share 💬 our ammo & gun experiences together!
What is a Handgun Scope? 🧐
It is an accessory used on a pistol or revolver that provides magnification for aiming from short ranges. It is typically smaller and lighter than rifle scopes and is designed to be more portable while still providing the accuracy necessary to hit your target accurately.
- 🔶 Magnification: Handgun scopes typically come with variable magnification settings, usually ranging between 1x to 4x.
- 🔶 Objective lens size: The size of the objective lens plays an important role in determining the clarity and brightness of the image. Generally, a larger objective lens means a brighter and more detailed image but also adds to the weight and price of the scope.
- 🔶 Reticle: The reticle, also known as crosshairs, is the aiming point on a scope. The type of reticle you choose depends on your personal preference and shooting needs.
- 🔶 Eye relief: The distance between your eye and the eyepiece is called eye relief. Longer eye relief is important for higher caliber handguns to protect your eye from recoil.
- 🔶 Durability: Such scopes are exposed to harsh recoil, weather, and terrain. Durable construction is crucial to ensure longevity and performance under these conditions.
- 🔶 Mounting system: The mounting system connects the scope to the handgun securely. It’s important to choose a compatible mounting system that fits your handgun for stability and accuracy.
- 🔶 Waterproof and fog-proof: Many scopes are advertised as waterproof and fog-proof. This means they can withstand moisture and temperature changes without affecting performance.
- ✳️ Increased Accuracy: A handgun scope offers better precision and accuracy when shooting, especially over longer distances. The magnification provided by the scope allows you to focus on the target and ensure a precise shot.
- ✳️ Better Target Acquisition: With such scope, you can acquire targets faster and more efficiently.
- ✳️ Improved Long-Range Shooting: It can improve your long-range shooting by allowing you to see your target in greater detail.
- ✳️ Safety: Using this scope can also make shooting safer because you can keep both eyes open while aiming, allowing you to maintain situational awareness and see what is happening around you.
- ✳️ Versatility: They come in a variety of sizes and magnifications, giving you the ability to customize your shooting experience. A scope can be easily mounted and removed, allowing you to switch between shooting with and without a scope.
How to choose it? 🔍
Choosing the best handgun scope can be a daunting task, as there are many options out there.
- ➡️ The first step in selecting the right scope is to determine your shooting needs and budget.
- ➡️ Consider whether you want a fixed or variable power scope, as well as reticles and other features such as illuminated reticles, adjustable objective lenses, and parallax settings.
- ➡️ You should also consider the size and weight of the scope to ensure it fits comfortably on your firearm.
- ➡️ Finally, be sure to factor in any other accessories that may be needed such as lens covers or rings.
Top 17 🚀 Handgun Scope
1# Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope
The Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope is the perfect scope for anyone who wants to get precision and dependability. With a magnification range of 2.5x to 8x, this scope is perfect for any shooting situation. The 100% waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof design ensures that your scope will be ready for anything. The ultra-lightweight 1-inch main tube design makes this scope super easy to carry, while the precision 1/4 MOA finger click adjustments for windage and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability. This scope is designed, machined, and assembled in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can be sure that it will perform flawlessly for years to come.
2# Hammers Elite Compact Lightweight Handgun Revolver Pistol Scope
The Hammers Elite Compact Lightweight Handgun Revolver Pistol Scope is a compact and lightweight scope that is perfect for target shooting and hunting. The scope features premium-quality optics that are multi-coated for a clear and sharp view. The scope is also waterproof, shockproof, and fog proof. The quick focus ring at the end of the eyepiece makes it easy to adjust the focus. The finger-adjustable windage and elevation screws allow for easy adjustments. The anodized black matte finish gives the scope a professional look.
3# Burris Handgun Plex Reticle Pistol Scope
Searching for a top-quality handgun scope? Check out the Burris Handgun Plex Reticle Pistol Scope. This scope is designed for handguns and features a 2-7x magnification range and a 32mm objective lens. The plex reticle is perfect for target shooting, and the matte black finish ensures low-light visibility. The 1-inch tube is compatible with most Weaver mounts, making it easy to install. With a 100-yard field of view, this scope is perfect for hunting or plinking. Order yours today!
4# NcStar Pistol Scope
Introducing the NcStar Pistol Scope! This top-of-the-line scope is perfect for pistols or rifles with Scout setups. With its variable magnification and long eye relief, it’s perfect for taking down targets at a distance. The illuminated reticle also helps with better target acquisition in low-light conditions. Plus, the generous 30mm objective size produces bright images for a clear sight picture. So whether you’re hitting the range or hunting in the great outdoors, the NcStar Pistol Scope is sure to give you an edge over the competition.
5# UTG Handgun Scope
The UTG Handgun Scope is a precision scope that is built on a true strength platform. It is completely sealed and nitrogen filled, making it shockproof, fog proof, and rainproof. UP to 25 inches of eye relief allows for the effective use of handguns. The projectile drop compensation reticle assists in shooting at different distances. The turrets are screw lockable with the most consistent and precise 1/4 moa per click windage/elevation adjustment. The adjustable eyepiece has a locking ring for additional security.
6# Burris Optics Handgun Scope
The Burris Optics Handgun Scope is a top-of-the-line scope that is ideal for handgun shooting. The Posy-Lock secures the point-of-impact in the face of abusive recoil, and the Ballistic Plax makes it easy to shoot long-range with any caliber. With its black finish and 1″ tube diameter, this scope is perfect for hunting, tactical, or general target/plinking applications.
7# Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope
Whether you’re out shooting varmints or taking your handgun to the range, the Leupold VX-3 scope is an excellent choice. It’s rugged and durable, with a 1″ tube that can stand up to the recoil of even the most powerful handguns. The optical quality is superb, with plenty of light-gathering power for low-light use. The Duplex reticle is simple and uncluttered, making it easy to acquire your target. And with MOA adjustments, you can dial in your shots with precision. When you need a top-quality handgun scope, reach for the Leupold VX-3.
8# Crimson Trace Brushline Pro Pistol Scope
The Crimson Trace Brushline Pro Pistol Scope is a versatile and accurate scope that is perfect for handguns, shotguns, and rifles. It features a second focal plane, non-illuminated, CT Custom BDC Pro Pistol reticle with 1/4″ click value and zeroes reset capped turrets (tool required for reset). The 9” long eye relief also allows for use as a scout scope. The windage (right side) and elevation (top) knobs are capped and can be easily unscrewed and adjusted.
9# Hiram Scope Combo SFP Spotting Scope
Introducing the Hiram Scope Combo SFP Spotting Scope. This tough little scope is built to last, with carefully ground lenses that are fully multi-coated to resist scratches and a hermetically-sealed nitrogen-filled tube that protects your optics from condensation. The aircraft-grade 6061 aluminum alloy and anodized finish give you both lightweight and superior wear and corrosion resistance. And the 1-inch riser mount makes it perfect for mounting on your handgun, shotgun, or rifle. So don’t settle for less – get the Hiram Scope Combo SFP Spotting Scope and be ready for anything!
10# Leupold FX-II Handgun Rifle Scope
Wish to get a reliable scope to help improve your pistol shooting precision? Check out the Leupold FX-II Handgun Rifle Scope. Leupold has built this scope with an ultra-lightweight tube that can take a beating in the field, and it’s 100% waterproof and fog-proof for use in harsh weather conditions. The Twilight Light Management System provides bright, vivid images with optimal lens clarity. So whether you’re shooting on the hunting grounds or at the range, this scope is a great choice for sharpening your skills.
11# Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope
The Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope is the perfect choice for precision shooters. With a rear focal plane and the Twilight Max Light Management System, this scope provides optimum clarity and brightness in any environment. The extended eye relief enhances comfort during target practice, and the scratch-resistant lenses and tough construction ensure lasting durability. Don’t wait any longer – try the Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scope just now!
12# Burris Handgun Scopes
Searching for a qualitative handgun scope that can handle even the most powerful recoil? Check out the Burris! These scopes are specifically designed to stand up to the recoil of magnum handguns. This original variable power scope is still the best choice for precision long-range and short-range shooting. And all models come with fully multicoated optics and the unbeatable Burris forever warranty. So whatever your needs, we have a Burris handgun scope that’s perfect for you.
13# Burris Ballistic Plex Reticle Handgun Scope
The Burris Reticle Handgun Scope is a top-of-the-line scope that is perfect for any handgun. This scope features fully multicoated optics for close-range eye relief, as well as a parallax adjustment for precision long-range and short-range shooting. With the unique Ballistic Plex reticle, you can be confident in your aiming at any range. Additionally, the 1″ tube diameter makes this scope incredibly durable and able to withstand the recoil of even the most powerful magnum handguns. If you need a high-quality scope that will help you take your shooting to the next level, look no further than the Burris Ballistic Plex Reticle Handgun Scope.
14# Leapers UTG Handgun Scope
Presenting the Leapers UTG Handgun Scope! This top-of-the-line scope is perfect for any handgun, offering extremely long eye relief and flexible mounting for a comfortable and accurate shot every time. With emerald-coated lenses, you’ll have no trouble seeing your target clearly in any lighting condition. The scope also features adjustable magnification, a side wheel adjustable reticle turret, and a windage/elevation turret on the opposite side for the best and most customizable shot available. So don’t settle for anything less, get your hands on the Leapers UTG Handgun Scope today!
15# Simmons Prohunter Handgun Scopes
If you’d like to get a handgun scope that can stand up to the elements and deliver bright, clear images, Simmons has exactly what you need. The Prohunter Handgun Scope is fully coated and waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof making it ideal for any number of outdoor activities. With long eye relief and 1/4 MOA adjustments, it’s easy to get a perfect sight picture, and the included Truplex reticle makes target acquisition a breeze.
16# Leupold VX-3 Handgun Scopes
For the hunter or target shooter looking for the best in clarity, light transmission, and image quality, Leupold offers their VX-3 handgun scope. This top-of-the-line scope features click-adjustable turrets for precise elevation and windage adjustments, as well as a rugged body tube constructed of 6061 T6 aluminum. The VX-3 is also waterproof and fog-proof, backed by Leupold’s full warranty. Choose from a matte black finish or silver.
17# Burris Handgun Scopes
If you need a top-quality handgun scope, you can’t go wrong with Burris. These scopes feature fully multi-coated optics and the Burris Forever Warranty, so you can be confident in their performance. The Ballistic Plex system is specially calibrated for handgun use, making it easy to get on target. With a max magnification of 2x and an objective size of 20, this scope is perfect for close-range shooting. The matte black finish rounds out the package, making it a great choice for any serious shooter.
The installation of a handgun scope is an important part of the process when purchasing one, and it should be done with care.
- 🛠️ Firstly, you will need to make sure that your firearm is properly fitted for the scope. This means that you must ensure that the base mount and rings are correctly aligned with the bore axis.
- 🛠️ You also have to check that there is enough clearance between the barrel and any other parts so as not to impede its operation or accuracy.
- 🛠️ Once your gun has been properly fitted, it’s time to attach the scope itself. Start by securely mounting the base ring onto the firearm, making sure it is tight and secure.
- 🛠️ After that, slide the scope onto the base ring, taking care to make sure that it’s centered over the bore.
- 🛠️ Now tighten the mounting screws using your screwdriver until everything is firmly in place. You should also test for any rattling or movement of the scope to ensure a solid fit.
- 🛠️ Finally, after securely attaching your scope, you’ll need to adjust its windage and elevation settings accordingly. Doing so will help ensure accuracy when shooting your handgun with a scope attached.
Handgun scopes are a great way to improve your accuracy and precision when shooting and can be a valuable addition to any gun enthusiast’s collection. With so many different models and brands on the market, it can be tough to know where to start your search. However, by keeping the above factors in mind, you can be sure to find the best scope to suit your needs. Thanks for reading! 😉👍
Tags: #best handgun scope / #best handgun scope for 44 mag / #best handgun scope for 44.mag / #best handgun scope for the money / #what is the best handgun scope
I’m purchasing a Ruger GP100 soon and I’m considering whether or not to add a rail and scope to it. Can you offer any insights or advice on this decision?
Adding a scope to your Ruger GP100 would require purchasing a rail and scope, which can be costly. While a scoped revolver can be useful for target shooting and hunting, it is important to consider that iron sights often provide better accuracy than a shooter can achieve with a scope. Developing iron sight shooting skills may be a better investment than purchasing a scope unless it serves a very specific purpose. This would also save you money in the long run.
Magnum revolvers stand out from other handguns due to their exceptional range and accuracy, which can make scopes a valuable addition. Opting for a 6-inch barrel model can be a wise choice, particularly if you plan on using it for hunting smaller games in the future.
I am interested in purchasing a scope for my 92 lever action, but I have no prior experience with long eye relief scopes. I would appreciate any recommendations and guidance on what to consider. Can you suggest any scopes that I should consider?
Before selecting a scope for your 92 lever action, it’s important to determine where the scope rail will be mounted. You have two options – either use a receiver mount to install a traditional scope or have the barrel tapped for a rail. In the latter case, a “scout” type scope would be more suitable.
Greetings! I recently bought a second-hand Ruger Super Blackhawk chambered in .44 Magnum, which came with scope rings but no scope. While I reinstalled the original sights, I’m interested in trying out a scope for some range fun. I’m not very familiar with scopes, so any assistance would be much appreciated.
I came across the Burris 2x20mm Handgun scopes, which are priced about $250, slightly above your budget. While I am not certain about the quality of their pistol scopes, their red dot sights have received positive reviews and are considered a budget-friendly alternative to Trijicon. It might be worthwhile to stick with the iron sights for now and consider saving up for a scope if you determine that it’s necessary for your shooting needs.