Table of Contents
- Our Selection 8 Best 224 Valkyrie Upper
- Why do we need 224 Valkyrie upper?
- Best Pick
- Brenton USA Ranger Carbon Hunter 22-Inch .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver
- #1 DoubleStar .224 Valkyrie Upper with Diamond National Free Float Handguard, 2 models
- #2 Adams Arms P3 Complete .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver FGAA-01350
- #3 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 200 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
- #4 DoubleStar .224 Valkyrie Upper with Cloak M-LOK Handguard, 2 models
- #5 Brenton USA Ranger Carbon Hunter 22-Inch .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver, 4 models
- #6 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 100 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
- #7 New Frontier Armory New Frontier Bolt Carrier Ar15 6.8 Spc/.224 Valkyrie Black BCG-68-224
- #8 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 300 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
- How to Install 224 Valkyrie upper at AR 15
- Best Pick
Our Selection 8 Best 224 Valkyrie Upper
.224 Valkyrie is a predator hunting cartridge, which can fit an AR-15 magazine properly.
.224 Valkyrie rounds enhance the AR-15 platform potential, featuring long-range performance similar to larger calibers (the 6.5 Creedmoor shot from AR-10). To reach maximum results these bullets should be shot through a good barrel. .224 Valkyrie bullets significantly made trajectories and ballistics better over other AR-15 calibers (5.56x45mm NATO or 6.5 Grendel).
Why do we need 224 Valkyrie upper?
To provide reliable functioning in an AR-15 chambered for 5.56, you need to replace the entire upper receiver (or just barrel and the bolt carrier groups), using an existing lower receiver.
.224 Valkyrie ensures a similar kick to those other AR-15 rounds, but the same qualities to a larger round like the .308, with only half of its recoil. Practically, AR-15 converts to more ballistically similar to a 6mm AR-10. .224 Valkyrie rounds can be super-sonic at long ranges as well.
Brenton USA Ranger Carbon Hunter 22-Inch .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver
This Forged HuntPort upper is completed with BCG with Nickle Boron Coating and HuntSize Charge Handle. The used materials (Stainless Steel (416R) and Carbon Fiber), as well as manufacturing processes, are proven by HuntSpec.
#1 DoubleStar .224 Valkyrie Upper with Diamond National Free Float Handguard, 2 models
The Standard Mil-Spec Flat-top upper receiver is outfitted with a 1-7 barrel twist rate, stainless (416) Bull-profile barrel, National Match Free-Float Handguard, and Aluminum Gas Block with Rifle Length Gas System. This Black Anodized upper comes without a bolt carrier group and charging handle (it’s necessary to buy a 6.8spc BCG with handle separately).
#2 Adams Arms P3 Complete .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver FGAA-01350
The Adams Arms P3 Complete match-grade upper integrates a Government-Profile Barrel with a 1-7 twist rate, ambidextrous charging handle, an ergonomic free float rail, jet muzzle compressor, nickel boron low mass carrier, and Micro Block Adjustable piston system. The upper is covered with Black Nitride QPQ Melonite. It’s recommended to start with a heavy H2 buffer and then fine-tune the gas system to ammunition and set up for proper running.
#3 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 200 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
The CMMG ensures that ENDEAVOR upper builts will enhance long-distance marksmanship while hunting or target shooting. From five CMMG Upper models for Endeavor 200, one is bored for .224 Valkyrie. This group with 1-7 in Twist integrates Medium Taper Profile barrel, 15-in Handguard, SV Muzzle Brake (threaded 1/2-28), and high-performance trigger to improve accuracy. The upper is finished with Black Matte.
#4 DoubleStar .224 Valkyrie Upper with Cloak M-LOK Handguard, 2 models
The Black Anodized Flat-top upper is equipped with a Chrome Moly (4140) HBAR-profile barrel (1-7 barrel twist rate), Cloak Free-Float 15-in Handguard, A2 Flash Hider, and Low Profile Steel Gas Block. This Standard Mil-Spec upper receiver doesn’t include a bolt carrier group, charging handle, and bipod stud.DoubleStar sells only the charger handle separately without bolt: this upper comes without BCG and handle, but still, they indicate “Complete upper”, although it’s an incomplete one.
#5 Brenton USA Ranger Carbon Hunter 22-Inch .224 Valkyrie Upper Receiver, 4 models
These complete Forged HuntPort uppers are consist of Medium Hunter Stainless Steel (416R) Barrel (1-7 Twist) with Black Nitride Protective Coating, Carbon Fiber RealFeel 15-in Handguard, threaded Muzzle Protector (1/2×28), 10G MarbleKote Camo, BCG with Nickle Boron Coating and HuntSize Charge Handle, Bi-Pod (Sling) and Tripod Mounts.
#6 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 100 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
Among five CMMG Upper models, there is one, which is designed for .224 Valkyrie for Endeavor 100. This group with 1-7 in Twist features a 15-in Handguard, Medium Taper Profile barrel, A2 Muzzle Comp (threaded 1/2-28), and effective trigger to increase precision. The upper is covered with Anodized. The CMMG ENDEAVOR uppers provide enhanced long-distance accuracy while hunting or target shooting.
#7 New Frontier Armory New Frontier Bolt Carrier Ar15 6.8 Spc/.224 Valkyrie Black BCG-68-224
This New Frontier Armory Steel Bolt Carrier Group with Forward Assist Serrations consists of Carrier (8620), Gas Key (4130), Bolt (9310). The BCG is milled from steel and Shot Peened/MPI/HPT, covered with Salt Bath Black Matte Nitride.
#8 CMMG, Inc ENDEAVOR 300 Series Upper Receiver Group, 5 models
One of five CMMG Upper receiver models is bored for .224 Valkyrie for Endeavor 300. This upper comes with a Medium Taper Profile barrel with 1-7 in Twist, SV Muzzle Brake (threaded 1/2-28), 15-in Handguard, and functional trigger for enhanced accuracy. The upper receiver is covered with Black Matte. The CMMG ENDEAVOR 300 uppers allow to improve long-distance marksmanship while target shooting and hunting.
How to Install 224 Valkyrie upper at AR 15
- Before mounting the upper, unload the rifle and keep it empty.
- Prepare the next tools: a vice, wrenches such as torque, an armorer’s or a barrel nut one, as well as a Loctite for the barrel nut and some grease.
- Start with inserting the barrel in the upper, and threading on the barrel nut onto the upper, by tightening it down.
- Fix the tube assembly and gas block. Slide the handguard over the barrel nut and put Loctite to provide a secure barrel nut grip with the knurled surface.
- After aligning the rail with the upper, insert the mounting screws in the drilled holes, and tighten them down to 50 pounds.
- Come out the gas tube straight, thread the barrel nut, and tighten the handguard up.
For the stripped upper receiver, the instructions are the following:
- Fix the upper into the vice block, duly orient the FA two pieces with its tooth facing towards and start the roll pin with a punch.
- Fasten the ejection port and put the C-shaped snap ring on the pin. Twist the spring 180 degrees, sliding the hinge pin, push the rod through to the free area.
- Insert the barrel into the upper, putting the nut onto the barrel.
- Fit the torque to 35 ft-lb and loosen a few times and check correct seating between the handguard surfaces.
- Put the gas block and tube out, slide it over the barrel, let a .025 in space to move the block back.
- Set handguard mounting hardware to the receiver, align it properly. Insert the indexing pin fully flush to the screws’ bottom.
- Align both top holes and big ports on the side to vent the main gases to the side and other parts to the top to reduce the muzzle rise.
- Lube up the charging handle and BCG.
- Now the 224 Valkyrie upper is duly installed.
The .224 Valkyrie can beat the 5.56x45mm NATO or the .223 Remington cartridges, as it’s a heavier bullet, which shoots faster than the 5.56, and it can be used for precision shooting on targets about 1200 yards. Consider these factors while looking for a new .224 Valkyrie upper for AR-15: barrel length, durability, Twist Rate, and Ease of installation. The sturdier the barrel is, the longer it lasts and the better it serves. Rust and corrosion-resistant barrel finish is a more advisable feature.
To choose the due twist rate, follow the rule: the heavier rounds, the less barrel twist should be. For an average .224 Valkyrie bullet weight (63 grains), 1:7 is a suitable twist rate ratio (the 1:7 means the round receives seven inches to complete one rotation).